History of the Grand Traverse Rural Fire Department
In 1946 Grand Traverse County Fire Departments were informally established to provide fire protection county wide. Then in 1978 Grand Traverse Rural Fire Department was informally created by the separation of the Metro Division. Thus two separate entities were created, Rural and Metro. In 1989, Grand Traverse Rural Fire Department was formed as the the first inter-governmental fire department in the State of Michigan. This revolutionary system required the signature of Governor Engler on the founding documents. The year 2000 saw the addition of medical and rescue services into Rural, and in 2003 the first rescue-engine was purchased which combined two trucks into one.