April 16, 2014
The regular meeting of the Grand Traverse Rural Fire Board was called to order at 6:00 p.m., by Chairman Tim Trudell, at 4123 Vance Road, Traverse City, MI 49685.
Roll call – 8 members, a quorum
Fife Lake – Linda Forwerck Chief Theo Weber
Grant – Doug Moyer
Green Lake – Paul Biondo #6 FF Robert Melancon
Long Lake – Karen Rosa Public – Dave Petrove
Paradise – Tim Trudell
Springfield – Tom Gray
Union – Doug Mansfield
Whitewater – Ron Popp
AGENDA: Motion by Fife Lake, supported by Springfield to approve the Agenda as presented.
All ayes. Motion carried.
MINUTES: Motion by Springfield, supported by Fife Lake to approve the 3/19/14 Minutes as presented. All ayes. Motion carried.
FINANCIAL REPORTS: (Dave Milliron excused- See his attached re-cap of the March Financial Report. Secretary read aloud the re-cap to the Board). Money Market balance is $136,047.39. Cost Controls and Line Items are in balance. Motion by Long Lake, supported by Whitewater to approve the Financial Reports as presented.
CLAIMS: PRE-AUTHORIZED CLAIMS in the amount of $3,100.30. Motion by Springfield, supported by Long Lake to approve the Pre-Authorized Claims. All ayes. Motion carried.
OPEN INVOICES in the amount of $72,054.58. Motion by Springfield, supported by Green Lake to approve the Open Invoices in the amount of $72,054.58. Ron Popp asked to get copies of three invoices. All ayes. Motion carried.
PAYROLL: Motion by Grant, supported by Green Lake to approve 3/12/14 payroll in the amount of $6,962.89, and the 3/27/14 payroll in the amount of $6,857.64. 7 ayes. 1 nay (Ron Popp) Motion carried.
CHIEF REPORT: (See Chief’s Activity Report) Chief Weber reported there has been no major issues with apparatus. There was a structure fire and Engine #4 didn’t start due to a problem with the starter. It made no difference at the fire scene because Blair Fire Dept. assisted and arrived first.
Rural Board Minutes 4/16/14 Page 2
CHIEF REPORT continued:
- Chief Weber purchased two more sets of fire gear.
- Chief Weber reported there were three fires. A barn in Whitewater Twp., a wildfire in Whitewater Twp., and a wildfire in Mayfield Twp., which was small and controlled by snowbanks.
- Chief Weber has made some Township meetings, and a visit to Pugsley Correctional Facility.
- Chief Weber reported the physicals are nearly complete except for one member who was put on
Suspension until he gets his physical.
- Chief Weber reported they have six new members.
- Chief Weber reported the Website is up and running and getting good feedback back from that.
- Chief Weber reported Station #6 had the floor epoxied. The members have been working hard cleaning and power washing the walls. Fife Lake is planning an open house in the future.
Chief Weber said that the fire fighters have a lot of pride in the Station and there has been a turn-around in their attitude.
- Chief Weber said he is in the process of developing an Annual Report. It is something the Board needs and the department needs. He hopes to have a sample next month.
- Chief Weber reported there will be the 51st Civil Support Team Exercise to help local responders. It will be held at the fairgrounds and the whole county is invited. It will involve the City Haz Mat team and other fire departments. It revolves around a scenario of contaminated fruit at a festival type event.
- Chief Weber reported on a Shooter table top at the Cherryland Mall. It involved local police, fire departments and EMS agencies. They discussed policies about an active shooter event.
RTC: Chief Weber reported the Fire School graduation is Thursday night at the Hearty Center. Rural has three graduates.
UNFINISHED/OLD BUSINESS: Revised Lease Agreement with added building description. Motion by Green Lake, supported by Union to approve the revised Lease as presented. Roll call vote: 8 ayes. Motion carried.
- Ad Hoc committee to study compensation and staffing. Chief Weber discovered a problem with the fair labor standards. Attorney Young and a labor attorney are working on it. He is not ready for a committee.
NEW BUSINESS: Approval of Surplus Property Inventory for disposal (see list of items). Motion by Green Lake, supported by Union to approve the surplus property for disposal. All ayes. Motion carried.
Other business. Ron Popp asked if anyone used the electronic format-PDF. He said he can’t make notes on it so he often uses “bookmarks.” Discussion. Trudell said he makes notes separate.
Motion to adjourn at 6:24 p.m. by Green Lake and Fife Lake. All ayes. Adjourned.